· By Dr. Kaushal M. Kulkarni, M.D.
How to Choose Eye Supplements
The market for eye supplements can be difficult to navigate with many products jostling for your attention. But never fear, here we offer insight into how to choose the right eye supplements for your eye health.
What Are Eye Supplements?
But first, what are eye supplements? Eye supplements are nutritional products that contain vitamins and other nutrients, which have been found to be beneficial for maintaining eye health and good vision.
True to their name, eye supplements are there to supplement your diet, not to replace it. A healthy, well balanced diet, packed with fruit and veg, should always be a priority no matter how many vitamins you take.
What is a Healthy Diet and How Does it Relate to Good Vision?
Now that we have your attention. It is time to explain what a healthy diet and active lifestyle is and how it relates to eye health. This might not come as a surprise to you, but a healthy diet is one that contains plenty of fruits and vegetables. It should also:
- Emphasize whole grains, fat free or low fat dairy products
- Include beans, eggs and nuts (meat should be limited)
- Is low in saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, salt and added sugars.
Despite how easy this sounds, it is common knowledge that us Americans do not eat enough fruit, vegetables and other nutritional food. Instead, we stuff our faces with high-calorie, low nutrient substitutes that are harmful to the mind, body and eyes.
This is where eye supplements come in. Taking an eye supplements can help plug in the nutritional holes in your less-than-optimal diet, at least until you are ready to take the plunge. It will have the added benefit of helping protect you from degenerative eye disease, such as macular degeneration and cataracts.
Again, the emphasis is on the help.
How to Choose Vision Supplements
Research on the benefits of vision supplements and their effects on the eyes is growing everyday. What these studies are showing is that it is wise to supplement your diet with a daily supplement that contains the following ingredients.
- Bioflavonoids: These are found in fruits and vegetables. They are a facilitating mineral, which helps your body absorb vitamin C. They are also found in abundant quantities in our Dry Eye Formula.
- Omega-3 essential fatty acids: Found in fish and nuts, these essential nutrients appear to help dry eyes and have other health benefits.
- Phytochemical antioxidants: Plant extracts, such as those from blueberries contain phytochemicals. These little gems appear to provide protection from oxidative strain and stresses throughout the human body.
- Lutein and zeaxanthin: These two are carotenoids. They help support the health of the macula and retina.
- Vitamin E: In numerous scientific studies, Vitamin E has been associated with supporting eye health.
- Vitamin D: Recent studies show that vitamin D deficiency is widespread, especially during the winter months for those of us who are unlucky enough to live in cold climates. Vitamin D is also associated with good eye health.
- Vitamin C: This powerful antioxidant is part of the NIH formula for age-related vision loss.
A key commonality amongst these vitamins and nutrients is that they may play a key role in reducing inflammation and oxidative changes, associated with the development of degenerative disease, including chronic and age-related eye problems.
Tips for Choosing Eye Supplements
Before you buy any eye supplements, do these things:
- Check the expiry dates on the bottle. Ensure that what you are purchasing still has plenty of time left.
- Check the serving size. Some supplements will require you to take only one tablet, but others will require you to take a few. Read the bottle carefully to maximize the benefits and stay out of trouble.
- Softgels (soft with a hard soluble covering) are generally better than hard tablets. This is because they are gentler on your stomach.
- Superior eye supplements have good quality ingredients. One way of assessing their quality is by looking at their bioavailability. Those with a high bioavailability will be easier for your body to absorb, and so more effect
- Avoid supplements which contain dairy products, particularly if you have allergies or other intolerance problems.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the best supplement for vision?
There is no best supplement for vision. A combination of those explored above will aid and abet your vision.
Can eye supplements improve vision?
Generally not. Eye supplements contain vitamins and minerals that research has shown to be beneficial for maintaining eye health and good vision. In keeping with their namesake, eye supplements are designed to add to, not replace, nutrients you get from a healthful diet.
Are eye vitamins worth taking?
While you can get the vitamins you need through your diet, vitamins are an integral part of maintaining eye health. There is evidence to suggest that vitamin supplements improve your eye health.
How can I improve my eyesight without glasses?
You generally cannot. Make sure to consult an ophthalmologist.
What is the best Eye Vitamin Supplement?
Vitamins with high doses of antioxidants vitamin C, vitamin E, lutein and zeaxanthin, along with zinc, are all good for eye vitamins to improve visual health. Any supplement that contains these core ingredients is a good bet. But read the labels carefully and do your research on the best eye health gummies and supplements!